I ran out of pine nuts but I did have some hazelnut meal in my pantry, so I decided to wazz-up a Hazelnut Basil Pesto instead. And guess what? I tasted just as great as the normal pesto. Yum!
Yield: 1/4 cup or 5 Tbs of pesto sauce
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
3-4 Tbs toasted Hazelnut Meal (toast in a hot pan for 1-2 mins)
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup EVOO
Grated Parmesan-2-3 Tbs
Grind basil leaves, garlic, hazelnut meal, cheese, salt and pepper in food processor and pour the EVOO bit by bit while the processor is still on. Done. Good in the fridge for a week.
– you can use a blender or a small grinder but the pesto will split a bit. Just add the oil a bit at a time and grind again. But if you don’t mind a little ‘split’ ( like me 😜), it will be just fine and still tastes good. If you are just using it to marinate the chicken, it wouldn’t be a problem at all. It doesn’t really matter really. 😉
PESTO MARINATED CHICKEN RECIPE:
1 Chicken Breast or cut into strips
3 Tbs of Hazelnut Basil Pesto
1. Marinate the chicken with pesto for 30minutes in the fridge.
2. Heat up a non-stick pan. Place the chicken strips/breast on the hot pan and sear it for 3 minutes. Then turn it once and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for another 2minutes for strips and add another 1-2 minute for chicken breast. Done! Best served with the extra Pesto sauce.
SWEET POTATO MASH RECIPE:
1 sweet potato- cut into pieces
1-2 Tbs EVOO (Mild)
1. Boil the sweet potato in a small pot for about 20mins or until tender
2. Drain the water
3. Mash the potato with a fork or masher
4. Add EVOO, salt and pepper. Mix well. Served warm. Enjoy!
Salad recipe is in my previous post.