I’m not a big fan of Tofu, but I really like this recipe coz the Tofu is crispy and spicy just perfect to my personal liking.
In Malaysia, we often eat ‘Sambal Kicap’. We eat it as a condiment to spice up our meal. But in this dish, I’m not using it as a condiment, but I’m incorporating the flavor into the Tofu itself.
This is a light and tasty dish. It’s perfect for those who needed something different and something vegetarian. This dish is great for a light lunch or dinner, especially as a post workout meal.
1 Firm Tofu- thinly sliced
3 Tbs Corn Flour
2-3 Tbs Olive oil
1.5-2 Tbs Sweet Soy Sauce
2 Bird’s Eye Chilis- Crushed (You can reduce or add more if you like the heat)
1. Heat up the olive oil in a non-stick pan
2. Lightly coat the sliced Tofus with the corn flour
4. Fry those Tofu in the pan until golden brown. While waiting, crush the birds eye chilies and mix with the soy sauce well.
5. PREPARE TO OPEN ALL DOORS & WINDOWS for the next step. Seriously! Be prepared to sneeze!! Once, golden, pour the chili soy mix into the Tofu in the pan under low fire. Mix it well until you see all Tofus are covered and caramelized a bit.
6. Best served with rice or in this case, just mix vegetables. Enjoy!
Eat it while its hot! Super Yum!
Sometimes I marinade the Tofu in the ‘sambal kicap’ for a while and then turn it into Tofu & veggie kebabs (in skewers). Great for barbecue and for vegetarian people. You can also try this with Tempeh as well.
MIX VEGETABLES :
1 Cup of Veggies of your choice eg: broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, peas, carrots, cauliflower, etc
1/2 Tsp vegetable/chicken stock
1 shallot- sliced
1 garlic -sliced
A pinch of sugar
1. Heat up olive oil in a non-stick pan
2. Fry the shallot and garlic
3. Add veggies and start stirring for a minute
4. Add chicken talk, sugar & pepper. Cook and stir for 3-4mins. Done.
Calories: Approx. 100kcal (just tofu), with veggies- approx. 200kcal