One of my favorite breakfast is oats. It is so easy to make plus very filling.
5 reasons why I love oats:
1. A cup is only about130 calories! It also stays in your stomach longer, making you feel full longer. You will have less hunger and cravings.
2. Provides high levels of fiber, low levels of fat, and high levels of protein.
3. Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces risk of diabetes (type 2). The high fiber and complex carbohydrates slow down the conversion of this whole food to simple sugars. The high levels of magnesium nourish the body’s proper use of glucose and insulin secretion.
4. Removes your bad cholesterol (without affecting your good cholesterol). Many studies have shown that the unique fiber in oatmeal called beta-glucan, has beneficial effects on cholesterol levels.
5. Enhances immune response to disease. The unique fiber in oatmeal called beta-gluten also has been shown to helps neutrophils travel to the site of an infection more quickly and it also enhances their ability to eliminate the bacteria they find there.
Here are few of my favorite oat recipes:
PLAIN/ CHOCOLATE OATS:
1 cup Rolled oats or instant oats
1/2 low fat milk
Fresh cut fruits- My fav are Banana, Strawberry, Blueberry & Kiwi
2 Tbs peanut butter
2 Tbs cocoa powder
1. Combine oats, water & milk. Cook on stove or microwave according to cooking instructions on the packaging. Mix together cocoa powder if you are making chocolate flavored oats.
2. Add fruit topping & peanut butter on top. Enjoy!
BIRCHER/ OVERNIGHT OATS:
Soak oats with liquid in a jar or covered container overnight in the fridge. Just add fruit topping & peanut butter in the morning.
Serving size is 1 cup but normally I can only eat 1/2 cup coz I have it with a lot of fruits & PB. So 1/2 cup is enough for me.
Oats doesn’t have to be plain and boring, make it interesting, yummy and full of goodness.
I hope you like my oat breakfast ideas. Enjoy!